Friday, May 01, 2009

"Healthy" Eating in the South

Example #1: the Arendse family took us to Babe's when we were in Texas. After taking a few bites of the salad, Benjamin exclaimed, "This salad is really good, Mama!" I realized why after I started to eat it- it was LOADED with sugar. Yep, apparently in the South, even the salads have sugar. (Oh, and do NOT believe it when they tell you that the sweet tea isn't sweetened very much. They lie!)

Example #2: Burger King is listed in the healthy living magazine in Louisiana. Seriously, people? BK???

- Heather

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather:

Welcome to the South! You must watch those Southerns.

Mom

Jess said...

Uh-oh!

Really BK? That is pretty funny!

Tully Family said...

Yes, I am serious. I was shocked!

Anonymous said...

Just a friendly reminder - Texas is not considered south, it is its own country and more west in my mind. A truelly southern state would never say there isn't much sugar in our tea! I grew up in the south and did not have sugar in my salad!
Tina

Tully Family said...

I was waiting for someone to comment about Texas!

Unknown said...

Dear Heather,

Just documents my thoughts all along - "This salad is really good!" I love living somewhere that Mac and Cheese is listed as a vegie.

Jeanelle said...

I never said the food in Texas was healthy, just delicious!

Tully Family said...

We did eat a lot of healthy food while visiting. What a blessing to have grass-fed meat & dairy! And, your co-op provides organic produce! Oh, I'm jealous!!!