Update 10/4/09: I added some more muffin recipes.
A friend emailed & asked me for breakfast recipes, so I thought I would share here. I've learned that children need a hearty breakfast so that they can focus on their lessons. It also helps with attitudes- low blood sugar equals grumpiness. (Plus, my kiddos are always starving in the morning.) We try to soak grains for nutritional purposes, which means I need to start the recipe the night before. This helps the prep work in the morning to go faster.
Beyond eggs, here are a few family favorites:
- This link has two favorites: Baked Oatmeal & Cream of Seven Grain Porridge
- Dutch Puff
- Sweet bread or/and muffins with fruit or/and yogurt/smoothies are great when we are in a hurry. (And they make great snacks- double or triple the recipe & freeze 'em!) Here are a few favorites: Applesauce Muffins, Pumpkin Apple Streusel Muffins, Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins, Blueberry Muffins, Banana Bread or Muffins, and Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins.
- Chocolate Coffee Cake: great for dessert too!
- Hashed Browns: This one is a bit time consuming but is so yummy! Serve with eggs.
- "Mom is Great" Breakfast Cake: this is also good as a cold snack! Do you remember the Bill Cosby story about Dad serving chocolate cake? You can view it here- too funny! This is just the sort of thing that would happen in our home if I did not have breakfast prepared.
- Homemade Granola: be sure to soak the grains for extra nutritional benefits!