Friday, June 05, 2009

Cloth Diapers: Another Review

I wanted to update my last review, even though we are still using the same 12 diapers we bought originally. (Actually, in the past few days, I'm down to 11 because I can't find one. HOW? I have NO idea! Errr!) I'm looking forward to ordering more after settling into our new home in Atlanta.

But I did want to share with you a few things about our cloth diapering journey:

- I am no longer using the microfiber automobile inserts. They might work for Jess' little one but Lizzie would soak through them too fast. So, I use one insert during the day & double up at night. These are the inserts the diapers came with- they do take longer to dry than the pocket but it really hasn't been an issue.

- The wet bags that I ordered from here have not worn well- the drawstrings are not pulling tight anymore. I've never dried them, so it has been very frustrating. I am planning on biting the bullet & spending more $$$ for better quality wet bags from another source.

- I really, really need one of these. Dunking diapers w/ poo in the toilet is NOT FUN! And, if I get one, I will not have to be the only one cleaning the poo-filled diapers. People have promised, so I'm adding that to my to-buy list. :)

- A few of our inserts are stained (none of the pockets are) & if I could remember, I could try soaking them in lemon juice and laying them in the sun. IF I could remember. Ah, huh. The stains are light & you never see them b/c the inserts go inside the pocket diaper but I'd like to see if the "lemon juice/sun" thing works.

- The other day, Lizzie was walking around with just her bumGenius on when I realized that really like the BG diapers. They look so trim and, at least for now, fit her really well. Time will tell if she will be able to wear them until she potty trains. I hope so!

- We have switched to using chlorine-free disposable diapers & wipes. I do not use the disposable often but they come in handy when I do not get laundry done in time (12 pockets just isn't enough for doing laundry every third day) or when traveling. We like these two brands: Seventh Generation (they have online coupons!) and Earth's Best.

- My dear, dear friend, Devon began the cloth diapering journey after being inspired from our blog. I feel so honored! :) She is beginning her journey with prefolds for her newborn, so I asked her to take good notes & share. I can't wait to see how it goes because I need to order some cloth for Abigail soon!

Stay tuned for more cloth reviews and updates. Like I said, after our move I am planning on ordering more pockets for Lizzie (8 more so I'll have 20), as well as prefolds for Abigail. I look forward to hearing Devon's review of Hiney Lineys because I have been wanting to try them!

- Heather

8 comments:

Jeremiah and Stephenie said...

Thank you for sharing an update. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong with the wet bags. After reading where you got them at such a good price, I ordered some, too, but am having the same exact problem. Very frustrating. I'm using prefolds at home and saving the few pockets and AIO that I have for going out and church. So far, the nursery ladies have been impressed with how easy they are to deal with.
All the best with your move and congrats on your husband's job. I kinda guessed a move to Atlanta was in your future after reading your friend's blog and she mentioned visiting you there. So glad the Lord has provided for you all.

Tully Family said...

Thanks, Stephenie! I am SO SORRY you have had the same problem w/ the wet bags. :( I know there are better brands out there- I'll let you know what I try next.

How old is your young one who wears prefolds? What size prefold are you using?

Jessica said...

Glad you like those BG! They do seem to fit almost all babies so well!

I am sorry that the wet bags aren't working for you. Mine have held up fine. That is so strange. Must have been different makes or something?

Hope you both can find a better brand!

Jeanelle said...

Let me know which wet bags you end up getting. I need one. Fuzzi Bunz are still our favorite!

Jeremiah and Stephenie said...

I am using prefolds on our Hannah who is just a month younger than your Elizabeth, I think. At first I was completely against using those, but they are really not that bad. It was prefolds (b/c of the cost) or continue using disposables, so I went with the prefolds. I just didn't buy enough covers (I only have 3), so even though I have 12 prefolds, 2 pockets, an AIO and a fitted, I still struggle to go two days without washing. I have figured out that a pocket insert laid inside the prefold works great at night for Hannah. Oh, I bought the Chinese Prefolds Premium. I think some places I've seen infant, regular and than a toddler size. These would be the regular premium with the blue stitching (bleached not the organic). They have plenty of room for her to grow and I've been very, very pleased with the Imse Vimse Organic Cotton Covers. I bought one Prorap Classic Cover and I guess I got it too big, but it works, it just seems too big in the legs. When I get more covers, I will just pay the extra for the Imse Vimse, though. I really like them.

Tully Family said...

Thanks for the review, Stephenie! I might contact you latter when I look into prefolds for our new little one. Did you buy newborn prefolds & then switch to regular or just regular? Our babies are 8-9 pounds when they are born, so I'm thinking the newborn may be too small...

Jeremiah and Stephenie said...

I only started prefolds in April after the cloth diaper trial. I also have larger babies, so I don't know that I would go to the smaller size. It would be nice to see the difference before you had to make that decision, though.

Jess said...

I was just re-reading this post and wanted to mention that until you get a diapersprayer you might want to try flushable liners.

I use them with Michaela when she isn't doing well with EC (since she is so mobile we've been having more misses).

We use ImseVimse Flushable liners. I hear Bummis are super soft. ImseVimse are a little rough but not bad. I got ours from Mom's Milk Boutique.

Just an FYI : )