Friday, August 21, 2009

Recipe: Condiments

(Before I share some condiment recipes, I wanted to tell you that I updated my post about breakfast recipes. I added a granola recipe. Yum!)

In our continual effort to remove soy from our diet, I have begun to make our own mayonnaise. We found Lindsay's recipe was a bit too strong tasting of olive oil, so I use 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil and 1/2 cup of expeller-pressed coconut oil. (I like to buy my coconut oil from here, where you can save TONS of money & buy it in bulk!)

I've also been making ketchup. The recipe is a bit too sweet for our taste, so I'm working on adjusting that.

Making your own condiments might seem a bit strange but it really is easy & quick. It is nice to not be reliant on a store for something. Plus, I can make it organic and save some pennies from the store-bought version. I store both the mayo & ketchup in small mason jars.

- Heather

1 comment:

Jeanelle said...

Great idea! We have been making our own gluten-free taco seasoning and it tastes so much better than the store bought version. The girls can whip this together for me in a snap! I made a large batch this last time and put it in an empty tea tin and stored it with the other organic spices.