Monday, June 06, 2011

2011 Book List: #4



Last week, I finished a Lamplighter book- "Buried in the Snow" by Franz Hoffman. The book is an easy read (I finished it in 2 afternoons) mostly because it is short. The writing is old style (it was first published in 1879) but it isn't too difficult- even the older children have read it with ease.

This book, based on a true story, is a powerful story of faith and perseverance in the midst of trials. A young boy and his grandfather are buried during the winter inside their chalet in the mountains. They must wait there until warmer weather can permit a rescue. Danger and death, loneliness and depression are just some of the trials that God uses to strengthen their faith in a loving, sovereign God. Could I remain joyful in such circumstances? Would doubt set in?

I definitely recommend this book, especially if you have boys. What a good example of wisdom to put into their hands. Benjamin says to tell you that the wolf part is the best. :) I usually have some theological trifles with Lamplighter books but not this one. Oh, one more thing- if you want an audio version of the book, Vision Forum sells it here.
- Heather

Okay, I'm still behind for the year (remember the resolution to read 1 book a month? Sigh.) but I should be able to catch up!

No comments: