The children joined Patricia's science today. (She is finishing up Properties of Atoms & Molecules from Answers in Genesis Science.) We learned about oxidation reactions, specifically that flames require oxygen & without it, your fire will go out. To demonstrate that point, we made our fire extinguisher in a jar! :) Lots of fun- just look:
1) Place candle in clay in the bottom of a "jar." Add 1/4 cup of vinegar to the bottom. Light candle.
2) Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of baking soda- do not touch the flame.
3) The candle quickly goes out! The reaction of baking soda & vinegar produces carbon dioxide, which pushes out the air & deprives the flame of oxygen. We tried relighting the flame and it wouldn't work.