Thursday, January 06, 2011

Read Aloud Thursday- January 6, 2011



We're only four chapters away from finishing "By the Shores of Silver Lake" by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Yeah! Good stuff. I'm debating taking a break from the Little House books for a bit... maybe I should ask my littles what they think.


Still making our way through "Wise Words" by Peter Leithart- my goal has been to read it once a month but I haven't been very consitent lately. The children really enjoy this book & it always leads to good conversation afterward.


Sigh. We were suppose to finish "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens in December over our "break" but not much reading aloud happened. Maybe I can "blame" it on Daddy? ;) No one is complaining that we are still reading it, which is good because we have quite a bit to go yet.


For our history read-aloud, we are currently reading "The World of Columbus & Sons" by Genevieve Foster. Often, after reading, we search ours maps for the locations that she mentions. The older three children add people or events to their timelines. I'm trying to make sure that we do narrations/summaries 1-2 times a week but sometimes we just enjoy curling up & reading. :)

Happy reading!
- Heather

7 comments:

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

Oh, I'm so glad you joined in Read Aloud Thursday! My girls LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Laura Ingalls Wilder. (If you search for Little House on my blog, you'll find I've written about it quite a bit.)

Can you tell me more about Wise Words?

I'm looking forward to more posts in the coming weeks! Thanks so much for joining in!

Tully Family said...

Amy,

I'll try to do a more detailed post next week about Wise Words. I was a bit pressed for time this week & I wanted to make sure I got my post up on Thursday. :)

I did write a bit about Wise Word here: http://tullyfamily.blogspot.com/2010/07/current-read-alouds.html

dawn said...

Amy, here's my review of Wise Words.

Tully Family said...

Yeah! A comment from Dawn, my long-lost-friend!

dawn said...

Wha? I commented on Monday ...

Tully Family said...

Yes, Dawn but there was Tues and Weds. :) I know you're busy this week!

Jeanelle said...

We will just be getting back to lessons Monday and will begin our read alouds again. My mother read to the children while she was visiting. This was a special treat because sadly the children had not seen her in two years. Thanks for sharing!