Saturday, September 01, 2007

Books & Poetry (Home Education)

Tonight Eric finished reading "The Fellowship of the Rings: the Two Towers" to the children. Patricia was almost brought to tears thinking Frodo had died. There was much rejoicing to learn that he was alive!



I recently won a free copy of "Martin Rattler" by R.M. Ballantyne.... Okay, I'll share how I won the book even though I'm tempted NOT to! I enjoy reading Kim's blog very much- it is always fun to see how a family blessed with 8 children live & train up their children for the Lord. Her hubby works for Vision Forum so she periodically gives away books. That is NOT the reason I read the blog but sure is fun to win!

Anyway, I wanted to share two things about the book:

1) we all highly recommend it- though I should state that we haven't finished reading it yet! The children have been playing "Martin Rattler" and want me to read it aloud constantly. It is great- wonderful godly morals about a mischievous boy who goes off to sea.

2) something fun happened when we read chapter three! I read the following sentence to the children: "... while Martin, who was firmly knit and active as a kitten, scarcely ever fell, or, if he did, sprang up again like an India-rubber ball." My children all started yelling because we recently memorized a poem by Robert Louis Stevenson ("My Shadow") in which our shadow is likened to a India-rubber ball. They were so excited and I was thrilled too! Fun, fun, fun!

For anyone who is looking for a good poetry curriculum, I highly recommend Andrew Pudewa's "Developing Linguistic Patterns Through Poetry Memorization." The children LOVE to listen to Andrew's voice, so I would spend the extra $$$ and buy the cds. Patricia and Benjamin have memorized 20 poems (some not from this curriculum) and Matthias is working on number 6.

As you can tell, reading aloud to our children is a HUGE highlight of our day! It brings so joy and is such a great way to flesh out principles from Scripture. Happy reading to all!
- Heather

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tully Children: It was great seeing you. Keep up the great reading, how wonderful it is to discover all the new adventures that lie inside. Love Nanny and Pa Pa

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing info about your reading curriculum and for web links! What joy our children give back to us when we spend ourselves on them and others. May we hopefully wait for God, for those who wait for Him will not be put to shame. Love, Devon

Jeanelle said...

Yes, read alouds are the highlight of our day as well. We are reading the Hobbit and the fierce Smaug has just been slayed. David's eyes were about ready to pop out! They are excited about hearing the "Lord of the Rings!" Thanks for sharing!