Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Games!

Updated 10/8/10: I've updated this post, adding a few more games that we enjoy or have played since first writing this post. Plus, I've tried to organize the categories of games better.

We enjoy incorporating games into the children's education. It is a great way to reinforce what they learned, help them learn to recall information more quickly and often teaches them a few new things along the way. Plus, it is just plain fun. :) So, here are a few favorites:

Math Games:
- Equate - I'd recommend buying the junior & advanced tile sets. Eric and I have also enjoyed this game!

- Uno

- Yahtzee

- My First Number Pairs- Great for littles.

- Lauri Fraction Game

- Math Dice- The directions read "MathDice is a great game in the classroom and for home schooling." Just love that! Plus, a sixth grader thought up the game!


Logic Games:
- Sequence for Kids- I'd like to own adult version too.

- Blokus - Little ones enjoy just sitting and trying to get all the pieces to fit on the board.

- Settlers of Catan- Patricia (& Benjamin?) are the only children old enough to really get it yet. Eric and I enjoy playing it also!

- In A Pickle

- Sherlock Deluxe- It says it is for ages 5 to adult but our littles love to play this and do very good. The children usually beat their parents!

- Chess- We have a few board sets but also let the older children use Chessmaster, a computer version. Computer time a rare treat around here but this version has taught them so much.

- Castle Keep


Geography Games:
- Sequence States & Capitals


Puzzles:
- MightyMind Regular Edition & SuperMind Regular Edition


Phonics / Spelling:
- My First Alphabet Game- Great for littles. You can change up the "rules" to make it more challenging.

- Bananagrams

- Scrabble Junior Edition


Little People Games:
- Chutes & Ladders, Hi Ho Cherry-O and Candy Land
- Memory matching games

Any other ideas?
- Heather

6 comments:

Tracy said...

We have Blokus, and LOVE it. In a Pickle is good. They do have to think. When they're a bit older, Settlers of Catan, and personally, I like Monopoly because they have to work with money.

Jeanelle said...

Thanks for this post. I've been meaning to get to the store to buy a few of these. Did you order yours or can you get most of these at the store?

Tully Family said...

Oh, yeah Monopoly! We like that one! :) Dawn just showed me the Catan game last night. Thanks for the suggestions!

Tully Family said...

Jeanelle,

Most of the games I picked up at homeschool conventions- Rainbow Resources carries a lot! :) I have picked a few up at the teacher store or Wal-Mart. I do not like to order them online due to shipping. :)

Jeanelle said...

We just bought Sequence: States and Capitals and played it last night. The kids loved it! It was fun and what a great way to memorize states and capitals.

Tully Family said...

Oh, I hadn't seen this one- thanks! I'll add it to our Amazon Wish List.