Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Cloth Diapering: Our Review

UPDATED REVIEW from 6/5/09 is here.

I've meant to write this earlier but things are busy. :) We started using the cloth diapers on the 1st after I had washed them. We are LOVING it! Seriously- it has been a breeze and I love the fact that I saved so much money this month because I did not have to buy wipes or disposable diapers. We did use a disposable diaper here or there but only a few. We had one leak yesterday but she had been in the diaper FOREVER. (Yep- I'm a normal mama with many littles... sometimes I forget about changing diapers that are not stinky. Gasp!)

I was a bit concerned about the laundry because I only have 12 pocket diapers. I have been able to do laundry every third day but sometimes we barley make it that long- it will be nice to have more pockets eventually! The inserts that came with each of the two brands are thick and take a LONG time to air dry. I have been using microfiber automobile cloths for day use (they are neon yellow & orange!)- they dry faster and are much more trimmer than the brand inserts. At night, I use 2 brand inserts- her bum looks HUGE but it keeps her dry all night. I try to let the diapers and inserts dry in the sun (maybe even outside) when the weather permits:



So, you're probably wondering which brand we like better- Fuzzi Bunz or bumGenius? Both have worked great but the FB are much more bulky than the BG- her bum looks so much bigger with the FB on, especially if she is wearing pants. So far, the velcro has not been an issue with the BG, though I have read several places that it can be. (I've read it can wear over time- I'm hoping that not drying the pockets will help decrease that.) Time will tell. I think I will order more BG for our smaller-sized Tully babies. Here are some pics of the diapers with one name-brand insert (the bumGenius is mint-colored and Fuzzi Bunz is the color yellow):





Did you notice that I color-coordinated her diaper to her outfit? Fun! :)
- Heather

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

did not have them when you were little, did have the diaper rack, use it the same way.
Love Mom

Jess said...

Yay! : ) How fun!